Mental Health in the Workplace Employee Fundamentals 101©
Whether approaching your employer or co-workers about a mental health problem, or preparing for a return to work after disability leave, employees will find resources to make themselves, and their workplaces, more mentally healthy.
Recognizing the Problem
Talking to Your Employer
Rights & Responsibilities
- Do I have to tell my employer that I’m ill?
- What are the accommodation rights and responsibilities of employers, employees, and unions?
- How can I have conversations that consider my own needs and the needs of another person?
- What kinds of accommodations can I ask for?
Talking to Co-Workers
- Are there coping/prevention strategies for mental illness in the workplace?
- How can the workplace contribute to or create mental health problems?
Managing the Culture in Your Workplace
- How can I understand my needs at work and what are some strategies to meet them?
- How can I handle gossip, rumours, and speculation?
Managing Personal Issues
- How can I manage debt?
- I am unemployed. Where can I find support?
- Are there mental-illness related income sources available?
- Where can I find help?
- Employee Assistance Programs: What is an EAP?
- How can Canadian Mental Health Association help me?